24 teams played 2 games on the last day of March.
This event has been played for over 35years, traditionally a Women’s event the criteria under Equal Opportunity, now is for a Woman skip and it was worth noting that an all WOMEN’S Team from Ashburton skipped by Liz Kortum were the overall winners on the day.
Audrey Nelson (Murrumbeena) and Liz Kortum’s team both won 12 of the 28 ends played by each team, by a single shot and 7 teams won both games. Of the 336 ends played on the day 164 ones, 46 threes, 22 fours, 15 fives and just 1 six were achieved.
These events are not possible without the great VOLUNTEERING ethic of the LAWN BOWLS community from green preparation, bar staff and the mighty efforts of the members who provide the catering on the day.
The bowlers playing were non- employed, no appointments, childminding or caring responsibilities on that particular Friday,
there were 24 women skips, and more women than men playing on the day
- WD Rose Funerals – Ray Thomas and Robyn attended and discussed the benefits of a pre paid funeral. There was the added bonus of an Easter egg for all players courtesy of WD Rose
- Bakers Delight provided the bread rolls at no charge
After 2 very wet days beforehand and much anxiety all games were finished, rain only affected the first 10 minutes. Players from Ashburton, Berwick, Clayton, Cranbourne RSL, Glen Waverley, Heatherdale, Mulgrave CC, Murrumbeena, Murrumbeena Park, Ringwood and Waverley Golf played the two games. The final results are at the club.
The result winners Joyce Lindores, Clayton runner up Lorraine Burke, Clayton best 1st game Janet Barnes, Ashburton best 2nd game Phyllis McDowell, Mulgrave CC Over the day of 28 ends x 7 rinks(196 ends) 2 sixes, 7 fives, 6 fours with 10 teams scoring more than 14 ones for and against
Many thanks are due (in no particular order plus members who have assisted in any way)
- Ness Wallace for a smoothly run event
- Lola McBride, Paul McBride, Bob Baxter for being available and then not playing due to a late withdrawal of a team –
- Greens – Rob Dunlop and Ben for having our greens in excellent condition in a very difficult week
- Catering- Mary Griffin, Terry Foster, Irene Lacey, Wyn Hewett, June Williams, Noreen Egan, Lola McBride
- Setup – Gil Newton, Pat Fitzpatrick, Muriel plus others